Keele Hall, Staffordshire, England
Record Id: 1882
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Keele Hall has the remains of an 18th-century landscape, with pleasure grounds and a park. The lake and fountain remain and a small parterre has been recreated. Some mature trees and the kitchen garden walls still stand. The site is now a conference centre run by the University of Keele.
Brief history of site
The site was laid out in 1769 by William Emes, with further work around 1830 by William Sawrey Gilpin and William Andrews Nesfield. Keele Hall was built by the Sneyd family and was rented, from 1901-1910, by Grand Duke Michael of Russia and, from 1910-1919, by Mr and Mrs John Dempster.
Address: Keele, ST5 5NN
Staffordshire; Newcastle-under-Lyme; Keele
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||118||Grid Ref:||SJ818448|
The site is off the M1 at junction 23A.
Opening contact details:
The Hall is located on the Keele University campus.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: After 1769
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 250