Iford Manor, Bradford on Avon, England
Record Id: 1832
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Iford Manor has an early-20th-century terraced garden, laid out in the Italian style on a steeply sloping site by the owner, architect Harold Peto. The garden features sculpture and artefacts collected by Peto on his travels in southern Europe. The garden is surrounded by a late-18th or early-19th-century park, the whole covering 21 hectares altogether. The site straddles the county boundary, with a significant portion of it being in Wiltshire.
Brief history of site
There was a garden here in the late-18th century, with pleasure grounds including an octagonal gazebo and a small park with woodland walks. Harold Peto lived at Iford Manor from 1899 to 1933, and laid out the present garden, which was largely complete by 1907. The garden was restored in the late-1960s and early-1970s with advice from landscape architect Lanning Roper.
Address: Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire, BA!5 2BA
Locality: Bradford on Avon
Bath and North East Somerset; Hinton
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST801590|
The gardens lie east of the A36 between Bath and Frome.
Opening contact details:
There are varied seasonal opening times. Please see:
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : Italianate garden
Site first created: 1899 to 1907
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6.1