Ickworth Park, Bury St Edmund's, England
Record Id: 1831
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Ickworth Park has gardens and pleasure grounds of 13.3 hectares. The gardens feature an Italianate area, woodland walks and summerhouse. They are set in a larger park of 300 hectares. Part of the house is now a hotel.
Brief history of site
A park was created on the site between 1259 and 1264. A manor house was built in the late-15th or early-16th century. By 1706, the construction of a walled garden and summerhouse had begun, possibly on the site of an earlier garden. The park was enlarged in 1714, and had been considerably expanded by 1751. Lancelot Brown was commissioned for work on the park and garden in 1776, but it is unclear how many of his suggestions were taken up. In 1795, the long-contemplated new mansion was begun. However, building stopped in 1803 and was not completed for another 20 years. The gardens around the house were laid out at this time.
Address: Horringer, IP29 5QE
Locality: Bury St Edmund's
Suffolk; St Edmundsbury; Ickworth
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||155||Grid Ref:||TL816614|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: After 1259
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 300