Hylands Park, Chelmsford, England
Record Id: 1829
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hylands Park is an 18th-century landscape park designed by Humphrey Repton including a serpentine lake, orchestrated vistas and pleasure gardens. The site occupies about 233 hectares. Areas of the parkland have been recently restored with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Brief history of site
A house was built in 1728, and was named Highlands. By 1777 there was an associated park of 41 hectares, along with formal and kitchen gardens. Under new ownership from 1797, the park and house were extended and transformed by Humphry Repton. The park was further expanded and the gardens embellished after 1821. The house was damaged by fire after 1962 and the site was purchased by Chelmsford Borough Council in 1966.
Address: Hylands Park, London Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 8WQ
Essex; Chelmsford; Writtle
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL684042|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1728
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 233