Hurstbourne Park, Basingstoke and Deane, England
Record Id: 1822
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Hurstbourne Park is a formal and landscape park with the remains of formal gardens. The park extends to around 330 hectares. It dates back from the late-18th century, overlying a landscape design from the early-18th century, probably laid out by Thomas Archer. There is also extensive 19th-century planting.
Brief history of site
Manorial rights to the site were held by the prior of St Swithin's who in 1332 was given a licence to impark and enclose his woods to create a deer park. The site was owned by John Wallop in the early-18th century, who undertook major improvements both to the Grange and to the surrounding landscape, with the assistance of Thomas Archer. Between 1780 and 1785, a new house, designed by James Wyatt, was built. By the beginning of the 19th century, informality had been introduced into the landscape. A new mansion, with terraced gardens, was erected in 1891-4.
Address: Hurstbourne Park, Hurstbourne Priors, Whitchurch, Hampshire, RG28 7RN
Locality: Basingstoke and Deane
Hampshire; Basingstoke and Deane; Hurstbourne
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||185||Grid Ref:||SU448477|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1332
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 330