Audley End, Saffron Walden, England
Record Id: 182
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Audley End has an 18th-century landscape park and woodland, which has been partly returned to agriculture. The site covers approximately 240 hectares, with 40 hectares of parkland surrounding the house and five hectares of kitchen garden which was acquired for the nation in 1948. Other notable features include the 52-metre (170 feet) long vine house and Robert Adam's ornamental garden buildings.
Brief history of site
Extensive formal gardens were laid out from about 1615. Further development of the gardens took place in the early-18th century. Lancelot Brown designed the park in the mid-18th century while Richard Woods worked on the pleasure grounds. The current formal parterre dates from 1831.
Address: Audley End, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB11 4JF
Locality: Saffron Walden
Essex; Uttlesford; Saffron Walden
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||154||Grid Ref:||TL526381|
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open Wednesdays to Sundays between February and October, and open weekends only in the winter months.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: After 1615
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 240