Howsham Hall, Malton, England
Record Id: 1812
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Howsham Hall has a well-documented landscape park. Features include a gothicised water mill.
Brief history of site
The site belonged to Kirkham Abbey before the Dissolution, and may have been built from re-used Abbey stone. A Jacobean stone front was added to the earlier structure after 1593, giving the house its present form. A series of enclosed formal gardens were laid out between 1689 and 1720. These had been removed by 1776, by which time the grounds had been extended. The landscape park was laid out, possibly by Lancelot Brown. Howsham Hall became a school in 1958.
Address: Howsham, Malton, York, North Yorkshire, YO60 7PJ
North Yorkshire; Ryedale; Howsham
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||100||Grid Ref:||SE735631|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1958
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 45