Auchincruive, (also known as Auchincroof and Auchencrue), Ayr, Scotland
Record Id: 181
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The designed landscape at Auchincruive retains its informal 19th-century structure and is now the setting for an agricultural college. As well as parkland and woodland there are well-maintained ornamental gardens and a terraced walled garden.
Brief history of site
Auchincruive was the home of the Cathcart family from about 1374 until 1760. William Boutcher senior laid out a formal landscape between 1723 and 1750, which included roundel plantings. The estate was linked with neighbouring Sundrum at this time. A more informal layout had been implemented by the mid-19th century. John Loudon described the estate as a 'grand romantic place' in 1833. In 1925 the estate was sold to a local farmer who presented it two years later to the West of Scotland Agricultural College.
Address: Scottish Agricultural College, Ayr Campus, Auchincruive Estate, Ayr, KA6 5HW
South Ayrshire; Annbank Mossblown St Quivox
Historical County: Ayrshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||70||Grid Ref:||NS388235|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: college
Site first created: 1723 to 1750
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 216