Attingham Park, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
Record Id: 180
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Attingham Park has a landscape park, deer park and woodland of around 200 hectares. The park encloses gardens around the hall. There is also a Home Farm run by National Trust tenants.
Brief history of site
Tern Hall was built on the site shortly after 1700. Attingham Park was created in the late-18th-century. The new hall was built in 1785, and Tern Hall was demolished. Thomas Leggatt planted some tree clumps in the park in the 1770s. Humphry Repton produced a Red Book in 1798 and his proposals were largely implemented.
Address: Attingham Park, SY4 4TP
Locality: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Historical County: Shropshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||126||Grid Ref:||SJ 550 098|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1700 to 1798
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 264