Hopetoun House, South Queensferry, Scotland
Record Id: 1790
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The early-18th-century designed landscape at Hopetoun House, based on a plan prepared by William Adam, largely retains its original structure. There are generous formal lawns and well-preserved parkland, some of which is grazed by deer. The estate also includes a woodland garden, a wooded wilderness area, a walled garden and an important plant collection.
Brief history of site
The Hope family has been associated with the area since the mid-17th century. The new house was built between about 1699 and 1705 and a formal garden laid out at the same time. The designed landscape that remains today was laid out between 1720 and 1740, influenced by plans drawn up by William Adam. In the early-20th century the 7th Earl of Hopetoun, later the 1st Marquess of Linlithgow, brought back many rare plants from Australia to Hopetoun House. In 1974 the family set up a charitable trust to run the estate.
Address: Hopetoun House, South Queensferry, West Lothian, EH30 9SL
Locality: South Queensferry
West Lothian; Kingsfield
Historical County: West Lothian
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||65||Grid Ref:||NT089790|
Opening contact details:
The house and grounds are open to the public daily from Easter to the end of September. For details see:http://hopetoun.co.uk/house-and-grounds/visit-the-house-and-grounds/
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1720 to 1740
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 469