Hoo, The, Willingdon, Eastbourne, England
Record Id: 1788
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Hoo is an early-20th-century formal terraced garden designed by Edwin Lutyens and planted by Gertrude Jekyll. There are three level terraces, and the garden is enclosed by high flint walls.
Brief history of site
The existing house and gardens were extensively remodelled and enlarged by Edwin Lutyens for Alexander Wedderburn QC in 1901-2. The site has since been partly developed.
Address: The Hoo, Church Street, Willingdon, East Sussex, BN20 9AR
East Sussex; Wealden; Willingdon and
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ589023|
On Church Street in the centre of Willingdon.
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: flats
Site first created: 1901 to 1902
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.25