Hoo, The, Kimpton, Hitchin, England
Record Id: 1787
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Hoo has the remains of an 18th-century landscape park with work by Lancelot Brown and William Chambers. The house was demolished and much of the estate returned to agriculture in the mid-20th century.
Brief history of site
The manor of Hoo was held by the Hoo family from the 13th century. Sir Henry Hoo Keate sold the manor in 1732 to Margaret Brand, whose son Thomas later employed Lancelot Brown and the architect Sir William Chambers to embellish the landscape during the 1760s. In the early to mid-18th century, the site had a formal approach and garden enclosures, with a small park.
Address: The Hoo, Kimpton, nr Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 8HN
Hertfordshire; North Hertfordshire; Kimpton
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL188196|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Agriculture and subsistence
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 120