Honington Hall, Shipston-on-Stour, England
Record Id: 1786
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Honington Hall is an 18th-century landscape park occupying about 80 hectares, with 19th-century developments. The house was built in the early-1680s, and modified in 1751. The gardens cover about 8 hectares, and include topiary hedges. The park covers a further 64 hectares.
Brief history of site
The manor belonged to Coventry Priory before the Reformation. A house was built, possibly adapted from an earlier monastic grange, together with the surviving mid-17th-century stables and dovecote. The present house was built around 1682. The house and gardens were extensively altered after 1744, with formal gardens being removed in favour of a landscape scheme with the advice of Sanderson Miller. The house was comprehensively restored after 1973.
Address: Honington Hall, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 5AA
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Honington
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP262427|
West of Banbury, east of the A3400
Opening contact details:
The site is open by appointment only.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: After 1682
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 72