Holwood Park, Bromley, England
Record Id: 1779
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Holwood Park is an 18th- and 19th-century landscape park originally of 83 hectares but reduced in size in 1953 to 50 hectares. A public footpath crosses the south-west corner of the site, which is otherwise private.
Brief history of site
William Pitt owned Holwood from 1785 to 1803 and during that time he enlarged the house with Sir John Soane as the architect. In about 1792 he commissioned Humphry Repton (1752-1818) to advise on improvements to the landscape. John Ward rebuilt the house after 1823, using Decimus Burton as the architect.
Address: Holwood Park, Keston, Bromley, Orpington, BR2 6HZ
Greater London; Bromley
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ422636|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1785 to 1798
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 50