Hollycombe House, Liphook, England
Record Id: 1769
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hollycombe House has pleasure grounds and gardens dating from the early-19th century, but mainly planted from the 1870s onwards. The gardens are set in a wider landscape of parkland.
Brief history of site
A cottage ornee was built by John Nash in 1803 for Sir Charles Taylor. New pleasure grounds had been laid out beside the building by 1812. The site was bought by Sir John Hawkshaw, who in the 1870s developed the existing pleasure grounds into an arboretum, planting exotics along the wooded slopes above the House. His son was responsible for the major landscaping scheme executed in the late-19th century.
Address: Hollycombe, Liphook, GU30 7LP
West Sussex; Chichester; Linchmere
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU851293|
Opening contact details:
Although the house and part of the gardens are not open to the public, a substantial area is accessible under the care of the Hollycombe Steam Collection. Open days are variable, running between April and October. Please see:http://www.hollycombe.co.uk/visitor_information
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1803 to 1833
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 104