Holland Park, Kensington, England
Record Id: 1768
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Formerly part of the grounds of Holland House, Holland Park incorporates the remains of 17th, 18th and 19th century park and gardens. The site was opened as a public park in 1952. It contains formal and informal gardens including grassed and woodland walks. Some remnants of the former estate's built structures remain in the park including its 19th-century Stable, Lodge, Ice House and elements of the landscaping and formal gardens are still visible, such as the Dutch Garden and Iris Garden, Lime Walk and woodland area. Over the years various sports and recreational facilities have been added, including an open air theatre, and a Japanese garden created in 1991.
Brief history of site
Holland House was built about 1605-1608 for Sir Walter Cope. The public park is on part of the former extensive estate, which once covered some 500 acres. Among those who advised on design and planting were William Kent and Charles Hamilton. The building was altered over the years until it was gutted by fire as a result of an incendiary bomb in 1940. The ruins and the grounds were bought from the last private owner, the 6th Earl of Ilchester, in 1952 by the London County Council.
Address: The Stable Yard, Holland Park, Ilchester Place, London, W8 6LU
Greater London; Kensington and Chelsea
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ247798|
Tube: Holland Park (Central), High Street Kensington (District, Circle). Bus: 9, 9a, 10, 19, 27, 28, 31, 49, C1
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use. The park is open daily from 7.30am - dusk.
Children's play areas, including adventure playground, sports facilities, restaurant, cafe, WCs, dog run, events.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1605
Main period of development: Mid 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 19.47