Aston Hall, Birmingham, West Midlands, England
Record Id: 176
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Aston Hall Park is a public park occupying about 21 hectares. This is all that remains of a 17th-century deer park which originally covered about 130 hectares. The semi-formal 17th-century design survives in part.
Brief history of site
Construction of the house began in 1617 for Sir Thomas Holte. The estate stayed in his family until 1817, after which date it was sold and leased. The estate was broken up in 1848, and from 1850 attempts were made to buy the house and grounds for use as a public park and museum. The park was opened in 1858. Changes were made from the 1920s, and the house was refurbished after 1946. The site has recently re-opened following restoration work.
Address: Aston Hall, Trinity Road, Birmingham, B6 6JD
Locality: West Midlands
West Midlands; Birmingham; Aston
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP079 898|
Off the B132 in Aston in Birmingham.
Opening contact details:
The site is open Tuesdays to Sundays from 12 until 4 between April and October.
Parking. Shop. WCs.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: museum
Site first created: After 1617
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 21