Hinton House, Hinton St George, Yeovil, England
Record Id: 1748
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Hinton House has gardens and pleasure grounds of around 6 hectares and a landscape park of around 494 hectares (200 hectares at its modern extent). The park dates from the late-17th century and mid-18th century onwards.
Brief history of site
A medieval manor house, which was accompanied by several gardens and courts, was rebuilt in the early-16th century by Sir Amias Poulett. Significant alterations were made to the house in the mid-17th century. A 'cedar lawn' was created in 1684, while in the early-18th century the first Earl of Poulett extended the park, laid out avenues, and erected a statue of Diana.
Address: Hinton St George, Yeovil , TA17 8RY
Somerset; South Somerset; Hinton St. George
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST418124|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 200