Himley Hall, Dudley, England
Record Id: 1746
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Himley Hall is a landscape park and pleasure grounds laid out in the mid-18th century. The grounds surround a country house, possibly by Nathaniel Richmond, and extended in the 1770s by Lancelot Brown. The site covers 205 hectares.
Brief history of site
The Hall was recorded in the register of the Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield in 1361 and by the mid-17th-century there was a moated manor house. A new house was built by John Ward, sixth Baron, after 1740. He also also called in a landscape improver, possibly Nathaniel Richmond, to prepare proposals for the grounds. Lancelot Brown landscaped the park around 1774. The hall was extensively re-modeled by William Atkinson between 1824 and 1827. The hall was refurbished in the 1920s, but then became a hospital during World War 2.
Address: Himley Park, DY3 4DF
Staffordshire; South Staffordshire; Himley
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SO888915|
The site is on the B4176, 4 miles west of Dudley.
Opening contact details:
The hall is open between April and September. For further details see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1740 to 1774
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 205