Hill Hall, Epping, England
Record Id: 1736
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hill Hall is an 18th-century landscape park covering an area of approximately 50 hectares, with gardens beside the house dating from the late-19th to early-20th century.
Brief history of site
There was a house called Hill Hall as early as the 15th century. The present Hill Hall was built by Sir Thomas Smyth between 1569 and 1575, along with elaborate formal gardens, approached by a double elm avenue along the main north drive. After 1711, the formal gardens were extended to the east by the addition of a curved canal, and the east front of the Hall was redesigned in a Classical style. In 1791 Humphry Repton was commissioned to produce a Red Book, though it seems that few of his suggestions were implemented. In 1909 Reginald Blomfield extended the hall and developed the gardens. Further alterations were made by Philip Tilden in the 1920s.
Address: Hill Hall, Theydon Mount, Epping, Essex, CM16 7QQ
Essex; Epping Forest; Theydon Mount
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ489995|
Opening contact details:
The site is open from 10 am on Wednesdays between April and September.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1569
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 50