High Legh, (also known as East Hall), near Lymm, Cheshire, England
Record Id: 1727
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
High Legh was a landscape park built around two historic halls. These have now been demolished and a modern housing estate built where they stood. The remaining parkland has been converted into a golf course.
The outlines of the design by Humphry Repton are still discernible and proposals from Repton's Red Book for the park can still be recognised.
Brief history of site
The landscape park at High Legh was created at some point between the late-18th and early-19th centuries.
George Ormerod's 1819 'History of Cheshire' noted that the site was owned by George Legh, and that the grounds had been laid out under the direction of Humphry Repton.
Locality: near Lymm, Cheshire
Cheshire East; Knutsford
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ 707 836|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: sports site
Site first created: 1768 to 1833
Main period of development: Late 18th century