Highnam Court, Gloucester, England
Record Id: 1725
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Highham Court was a Medieval deer park developed in the 17th and 18th centuries as a landscape park. It was around 40 hectares at its most extensive, with mid-19th-century ornamental gardens and grottoes.
Brief history of site
The manor of Highnam had belonged to the abbot of Gloucester. After the Dissolution the site was granted by the Crown to John Arnold, passing later by marriage to the Cooke family. The present house was built for William Cooke (died 1700). John Guise lived at the house from at least 1757 until 1794, during which time the grounds were landscaped. Extensive new gardens were laid out by James Pulham in the 1840s.
Address: Highnam, GL2 8EG
Gloucestershire; Tewkesbury; Highnam
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||162||Grid Ref:||SO793193|
Highnam is 2 miles north-west of Gloucester on the A40 towards Ross on Wye.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open on the first Sunday of every month from 11 until 5 from May to September. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: Before 1700
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 40