Highgate Cemetery, London, England
Record Id: 1723
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site covers 14.5 hectares and is divided into two parts: Highgate West Cemetery covers some 7 hectares of steeply sloping ground, whilst Highgate East Cemetery, about 7.5 hectares, is on gently sloping ground, falling from north-west to south-east. Features include winding drives and paths, shrubberies, statuary, terraces, entrance gates, chapel, lodge and an Egyptian Avenue.
Brief history of site
The cemetery was founded by the London Cemetery Company. The West Cemetery was opened in 1839, and extended in 1854 when the East Cemetery was created. The buildings were designed by J B Bunning and S Geary, and the landscaping by David Ramsay.
Address: Highgate Cemetery, Swain's Lane, Highgate, London, N6 6PJ
Greater London; Camden
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ284870|
Nearest tube station - Archway.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily. Guided tours are available. Please see:
http://highgatecemetery.org/visit or telephone 020 8340 1834
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1839 to 1854
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 14.5