Highdown, Worthing, West Sussex, England
Record Id: 1721
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Highdown is a plantsman's garden developed between 1909 and 1967 by Sir Frederick and Lady Stern.
Brief history of site
In 1909 the house and surrounding grounds were bought by Major, later Sir Frederick, Stern and his wife. From that date until Sir Frederick's death in 1967 they created and developed the present gardens, in and around a former chalk pit, partly as an experiment in gardening on chalk.
Address: Littlehampton Road, BN12 6PG
Locality: Worthing, West Sussex
West Sussex; Arun; Ferring
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||TQ097040|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, with free access. For opening times, please see:
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1909 to 1967
Main period of development: 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4.5