Highclere Park, Newbury, England
Record Id: 1719
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The late-18th-century landscape park incorporates some elements of the late-17th and early-18th-century rococo garden. The site has 13 hectares of informal pleasure grounds and 417 hectares of parkland, pasture, and woodland.
Brief history of site
The site was originally a medieval deer park, with a bishop's palace from the 13th century, over which rococo pleasure grounds and a landscape park were created. The main features date from the early to mid-18th century. The layout was enlarged and re-modelled in the 1770s by the 1st Lord Carnarvon, incorporating some features of Capability Brown's design. The grounds were altered in the 19th century.
Address: Highclere Park, RG20 9RN
Hampshire; Basingstoke and Deane; Highclere
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||174||Grid Ref:||SU445588|
Follow the A34 Newbury bypass, then exit at the Tothill Services junction. Follow the tourist signs to Highclere. Please see:
Opening contact details:
The castle and grounds have various seasonal opening times. Please see:
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: castle
Site first created: After 1100
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 430