Highbury Hall and Park, Birmingham, England
Record Id: 1718
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Highbury Park was originally a late-19th-century suburban garden and estate, which subsequently became a garden (with Hall) and public park. The site covers approximately 33 hectares. The park was re-landscaped in the early-20th century, with a Dutch garden and an Italian garden as well as a great variety of trees. An arboretum was planted in 1992.
Brief history of site
Highbury Hall was built in 1878-9 for the MP Joseph Chamberlain. From 1888, Highbury was the setting for large social and political gatherings. The greater part of Highbury's grounds was made a public park soon after 1932.
Address: Highbury Hall, Yew Tree Road, Moseley, Birmingham, B13 8QG
West Midlands; Birmingham; Moseley and Kings Heath
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP068 823|
South-east of the A38 between Selly Oak and Moseley, in south Birmingham. Off the A435 in King's Heath.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal space for general public use.
Form of site: landscape garden
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1879
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 33