Heythrop Park, (also known as Heythrop Hall and Heythrop College), Chipping Norton, England
Record Id: 1714
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site originally had early formal and landscape gardens and pleasure grounds occupying about 100 hectares within a 240 hectare registered site, dating from the early-18th century and later. The house was used as a college until 1970. Since the late-20th century Heythrop has been a hotel with sports facilities including a golf course, croquet lawn and football pitch.
Brief history of site
Charles Talbot, Duke of Shrewsbury, bought the Heythrop estate in 1697, employing Thomas Archer to erect Heythrop House, 1706-11. The formal garden features were laid out shortly afterwards. The informal features, centring on the Bath House in the south-west corner of The Wilderness seem to have been in existence by 1710, and if so are a very early example of this type. The lakes were probably created in the mid- to late 18th century, together with the cascade walks and adjacent woodland walks.
Address: Heythrop Park Hotel, Enstone, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 5UE
Locality: Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Heythrop
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP364265|
North-west of Oxford, off the A44/B4030
Form of site: estate
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: After 1706
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 100