Hewell Grange, Redditch, England
Record Id: 1709
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hewell Grange is an 18th-century landscape park and lake laid out by Lancelot Brown and modified around 1812 by Humphry Repton. There are also the remains of an extensive late-19th-century formal garden. The site is now in institutional use.
Brief history of site
The third Lord Windsor, who succeeded his father in 1558, made Hewell his main residence and greatly enlarged the deer park. About 1712 the second Earl of Plymouth replaced the existing house with a new one by Francis Smith of Warwick. This house was itself replaced by the present Hewell Grange in a building campaign which began in 1884.
Address: Tardebigge, Worcestershire, B97 6QJ
Historical County: Worcestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP008689|
Two miles east of Bromsgrove via the A448.
Opening contact details:
The Grange is a prison and is not open to the public. However, the lake is managed by the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust and is accessible to the public.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: prison
Site first created: Before 1712
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 160