Heveningham Park and Gardens, Halesworth, England
Record Id: 1707
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Heveningham Park has formal gardens and pleasure grounds covering four hectares, set in a landscape park of 205 hectares. The current owners have completed Lancelot Brown's ambitious plans for the site with a chain of lakes, which was rejected at the time.
The gardens also contain a ribbon or 'crinkle-crankle' ha-ha and an orangery. Behind the house sweeping grass terraces designed in the late-20th century replace the Victorian garden.
Brief history of site
A park is recorded on the site in 1575. A new manor house was built on the site of the present hall in 1653. In 1714, the house was re-built and a formal wilderness garden with allees and vistas was laid out. Sir Robert Taylor was commissioned to rebuild the Hall in 1777 and Lancelot Brown was consulted regarding the park in 1782. Few of his proposals were implemented at the time, but the work was completed recently by the current owners. The Orangery, the Temple and the south lodges were constructed in the late-18th century by James Wyatt.
Address: Heveningham, IP19 0PN
Suffolk; Suffolk Coastal; Heveningham
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||156||Grid Ref:||TM350734|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1575
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 205