Hestercombe, Taunton, England
Record Id: 1705
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hestercombe House is set in 120 hectares of parkland. There is a formal garden of around 3 hectares beside the house, designed by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll from 1904 to 1908. There is also a landscaped valley behind the house of around 13.5 hectares, created by Coplestone Warre Bampfylde between 1750 and 1790.
Brief history of site
The land is first noted in the Domesday Book. The combe was developed by owner Coplestone Warre Bamfylde from 1750 onwards. The estate was bought by the Portman family in 1872, who commissioned Edwin Lutyens to design a formal garden in 1903. The formal garden was originally restored from 1973 to 1978, and work continues. The combe has been under restoration since 1996.
Address: Cheddon Fitzpaine, TA2 8LG
Somerset; Taunton Deane; Cheddon Fitzpaine
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||193||Grid Ref:||ST241287|
Take junction 25 from the M5 and follow signs to Cheddon Fitzpaine.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily from 10 until 5.30. Please see
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: civic centre
Site first created: 1750
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 120