Henley Hall, Ludlow, England
Record Id: 1691
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
About 1600 the manor of Henley was bought by Thomas Powys of Ludlow. In 1770 his descendant, the 1st Lord Lilford, sold it to Thomas Knight, a member of the Shropshire ironmaking family, who set about modernising the house, building the kitchen garden and possibly creating the deer park. He died in 1803 when the property passed to Elizabeth Knight, the daughter of his eldest uncle, Richard Knight of Croft Castle.
She left Henley to her son the Reverend Samuel Johnes, who assumed the name Knight. John Knight died in 1872, and in 1874 executors sold what had become a neglected property to Edmund Thomas Wedgwood Wood, under whom there was considerable investment in Henley and its gardens. The estate remains (1998) in private hands under the Woods' successors.