Lost Gardens of Heligan, The, (also known as Heligan), St. Austell, England
Record Id: 1683
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Heligan has the grounds of a country house, altered in the late-18th and early-19th centuries from a formal design to a landscape style. The gardens include Victorian productive gardens and surrounding Pleasure Grounds, and a sub-tropical jungle valley.
Brief history of site
Heligan was the seat of the Tremayne family for more than 400 years from the late-16th century. A large walled garden was constructed in the late-17th century and expanded in 1735. Plantings were made during the late-18th century and early-19th centuries by Henry Hawkins Tremayne. From the 1850s to the early-20th century the gardens were planted up with an extensive collection of ornamentals, many from original seed introductions. The estate, neglected after World War 1, has been undergoing a major programme of restoration since the 1990s, overseen by Tim Smit and John Nelson.
Address: Heligan, Pentewan, St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 6EN
Locality: St. Austell
Cornwall; St. Ewe
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW998465|
Visitors are encouraged to travel via St. Austell, taking the B3273 towards Megavissey.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily throughout the year from 10 until 5 (6 pm in summer). Please see:http://heligan.com/visiting-us/opening-hours-and-prices/
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1692
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 70