Hasels, The, (also known as The Hazells), Bedford, England
Record Id: 1640
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Hasels has formal and woodland gardens of 18th- or 19th-century origin, covering about 6 hectares. The gardens are set within an 18th-century landscape park which at its most extensive covered around 116 hectares. The registered site now covers some 70 hectares only.
Brief history of site
This was formerly the site of Chicksands Priory. Hasells was re-built in 1698. The house was sold in 1721 and two new wings were added. Formal gardens and terraces were created in the 1720s, and a park was created by Nathaniel Richmond in the 1760s. in 1791 Humphry Repton was consulted about remodelling the garden and park.
Address: near Sandy, Bedfordshire, SG19 2DD
Central Bedfordshire; Sandy
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||153||Grid Ref:||TL189500|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1698
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 116