Ashton Gardens, (also known as St George's Gardens), Lytham St Annes, England
Record Id: 163
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Ashton Gardens is a public park, laid out between 1914 and 1916 to a design by F. Harrison of Lytham St Annes. Pulham and Sons carried out the construction.
The gardens, which occupy about 5 hectares, retain many original features, including a ladies' bowls pavilion and a war memorial.
Brief history of site
Ashton Gardens were created in the late-19th-century as an attraction for visitors. The site was originally called St George's Gardens but the name was changed after Lord Ashton purchased the gardens for the town in 1914.
The gardens were laid out in their present form between 1914 and 1916. In 1916 they were formally opened to the public.
In 2007 the council received a grant of almost £1.5 million to restore and remodel the gardens.
Address: Ashton Gardens, Clifton Drive North, St Anne's, Fylde, Lancashire, FY8 2AW
Locality: Lytham St Annes
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||102||Grid Ref:||SD 320290|
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1914 to 1916
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5