Harleyford, Marlow, England
Record Id: 1626
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Harleyford has the remains of a mid-18th-century landscape park of about 100 hectares (85 hectares are registered), attributed to Lancelot 'Capability' Brown. The site lies on the north bank of the River Thames, surrounded by woodland, agricultural land and a golf course.
Brief history of site
The estate was used as a summer residence for Sir William Clayton Bt from 1728. The house was surrounded by gardens, orchards, groves and walks, and also 'the Greens, Oranges, Bayes, Yews, Lawrell and all other Trees Shrubs Plants and Flowers' (Harleyford deeds, 1717 & 1728). A new villa was completed on the site by 1755. The landscape was possibly laid out by Lancelot Brown in the late-18th century. Although there is no documentary record of this, it is probable on stylistic grounds.
Address: Harleyford, Henley Road, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 2DX
Buckinghamshire; Wycombe; Great Marlow
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SU827845|
On the south side of the A4155 Marlow to Henley road.
Opening contact details:
It may be possible to visit by appointment. Please see:
http://www.harleyford.co.uk or telephone 01 628 471361
Function venue and marina
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: Before 1728
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 100