Harewood House, Leeds, England
Record Id: 1624
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Harewood House has gardens and pleasure grounds of the 18th century with elements designed by Richard Woods and Thomas White. There is also a terraced garden of 1844-51 designed by Charles Barry with a planting scheme possibly by William Andrews Nesfield. The parkland was laid out to designs by Lancelot Brown during the period 1772-80 with alterations and additions of around 1800, some of which were executed to proposals by Humphry Repton.
Brief history of site
There is a semi-ruinous castle on the site which dates from the mid-14th century. There was also a medieval manor house to the south of the present house. The manor house was altered in the 17th century and was demolished in the 1770s. The present Harewood House was designed by John Carr for Edwin Lascelles in 1759.
Address: Harewood, LS17 9LG
West Yorkshire; Leeds; Harewood
Historical County: Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||104||Grid Ref:||SE311446|
Harewood is off the A659 between Leeds and Harrogate. Please see:
Opening contact details:
The site is open between March and November, with weekend only openings in the winter months. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: 1759
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 611