Hardwick Hall, Chesterfield, England
Record Id: 1620
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hardwick Hall has a parkland, orchard, walled gardens, gatehouse and herb garden occupying about 440 hectares.
Brief history of site
In 1583 Elizabeth, Countess of Shrewsbury (Bess of Hardwick) bought the estate from her brother James and moved to the site following a dispute with her husband. The park was first enclosed between 1591 and 1597. Louisa Egerton laid out the gardens around 1870. The National Trust took over the site in 1959.
Address: Hardwick Hall, Doe Lea, Chesterfield, Derbyshire., S44 5QJ
Derbyshire; Bolsover; Ault Hucknall
Historical County: Derbyshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||120||Grid Ref:||SK 463 637|
East of the M1, west of Mansfield.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open on selected days between February and December. Please see:http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/place-pages/161/pages/opening-times-calendar
The Old Hall is in the care of English Heritage, and is open Wednesdays to Sundays between April and October.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1591 to 1597
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 440