Hanworth Hall, Roughton, England
Record Id: 1615
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
Hanworth Hall, owned by the Doughty family in the 17th century, burnt down in about 1700 and a new house was built by Robert Doughty, who died in 1770 at the age of seventy. It is unclear when the park shown in 1797 on Faden's map as covering about 70 hectares first came into existence but it is likely that Robert Doughty's successor, Robert Lee Doughty, began to lay out a park in the year that he succeeded, 1770 (Williamson 1998). In 1789 he called upon his friend Humphry Repton (1752-1818) for advice and Repton worked here from 1789 to 1790. A schematic map of 1812 shows that by this time the park had been enclosed with shelter belts to the north-east. Robert married but had no heirs so the estate passed to the children of his sister Catherine and her husband George Lukin who had family connections with the Windhams of Felbrigg (see description of this site elsewhere in the Register). Thus Philip Mayow and Admiral Lukin inherited and during their ownership in the middle years of the 19th century further plantations appeared, screening the kitchen garden, Dairy Farm, the home farm in the south park, and Hanworth church (against the implied advice of Repton). After Mayow's death in 1845 his share passed to the Admiral's son W H Windham of Felbrigg whose son W F Windham and his wife lived at Hanworth. Following his early death his widow lived on at the Hall, adding a new service range in 1881. Towards the end of the century the lake was widened and the adjoining woodland extended. Eventual bankruptcy forced the sale of the estate at the end of the century, the final sale coming in 1900 when it was purchased by Joseph Gurney Barclay for his third son Henry. The site remains (1999) in private ownership.
1700: Hanworth Hall, owned by the Doughty family in the 17th century, burnt down in about 1700 and a new house was built by Robert Doughty, who died in 1770.
People associated with this site
Builder: Matthew Brettingham the Elder (born 1699 died 19/08/1769)
Designer: Humphry Repton (born 21/04/1752 died 24/03/1818)
Ancient Spanish chestnuts (Castanea sativa).