Hampton Court, Surrey, England
Record Id: 1605
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hampton Court is a Tudor palace, set in grounds of about 218 hectares. The site includes formal gardens around the palace, a deer park, maze, rose garden and wilderness. The site is bounded by the River Thames to the south and east.
Brief history of site
The site originated in the medieval period. The Tudor palace and gardens were developed from 1514 by Cardinal Wolsey, and acquired by Henry VIII in 1528. The house was remodelled from 1689 by Sir Christopher Wren, and the gardens were also redeveloped in the formal style at the same time. The house and gardens were opened to the public in 1838.
Address: Hampton Court Palace, East Molesey, Surrey, KT8 9AU
Greater London; Richmond upon Thames
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ158684|
Rail: Hampton Court, Kingston then bus. Bus: 111, 216, 267, 411, 461, 513, R68. River Thames Boat Service to Hampton Court.
Opening contact details:
Palace/Maze 10am-6pm (summer)/-4.30pm (winter). Formal Gardens 10am-7pm (summer)/-5.30pm (winter). Informal Gardens 7am-8pm (summer)/-6pm (winter).
Parking. Refreshments. WCs. Disabled access (limited in some areas). Shop. No dogs.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: pleasure ground
Context or principal building: palace
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1514
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 218