Hammerwood Park, East Grinstead, Sussex, England
Record Id: 1601
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hammerwood Park has the remains of a late-18th-century landscape park and tree plantation occupying about 75 hectares. There are terrace gardens below the house, occupying a further 5 hectares. These were extant in 1987.
Brief history of site
There had been a house on the site (known as The Bower) since before 1711. in 1792 the estate was purchased by John Sperling, who commissioned Benjamin Henry Latrobe to build the present house, known as Hammerwood Lodge. Landscape improvements were carried out at the same time. The ornamental gardens to the east of the house were probably laid out by Oswald Augustus Smith in the 1860s.
Address: Hammerwood Park, East Grinstead, Sussex , RH19 3QE
Locality: East Grinstead, Sussex
East Sussex; Wealden; Forest Row
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ442388|
Opening contact details:
Open only on selected days of the year.http://www.hammerwood.mistral.co.uk/
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1792
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 80