Halton House, Aylesbury, England
Record Id: 1593
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Halton House is a late-19th century formal gardens and woodland covering about 6.5 hectares, situated within an estate of 240 hectares (the registered area covers 120 hectares only). The estate is now used for varied agricultural, forestry, sports and institutional purposes.
Brief history of site
In 1853, Lionel de Rothschild bought the manor house, grounds and park. His son Alfred inherited the estate in 1879, and began to build a new house on a new site. The grounds were laid out during the 1880s. The estate was bought by the RAF in 1919 and used as a training base, in which use it remains.
Address: Halton House, Halton, Buckinghamshire, HP22 5NN
Buckinghamshire; Aylesbury Vale; Halton
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SP880101|
South-east of Aylesbury
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: defence
Site first created: Before 1853
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 240