Hainton Hall, Market Rasen, England
Record Id: 1579
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Hainton Hall has an 18th-century landscape park of 72 hectares surrounded by woodland.
Brief history of site
The Heneage family have been associated with the site since the 12th century. In 1638, Sir George Heneage II completed the rebuilding of the house, which was re-modelled after 1735. George Fieschi Heneage commissioned Lancelot Brown to landscape the park in 1763. Some of his proposals were carried out, but some proved impractical and in 1780 William Emes was called in to advise. Part of the hall was re-built in about 1809 by Peter Atkinson. A lodge, a small Catholic chapel, and a stable block were added between 1834 and 1836. The house was partially destroyed by fire in 1919 and re-built.
Address: Hainton, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, LN8 6LS
Locality: Market Rasen
Lincolnshire; East Lindsey; Hainton
Historical County: Lincolnshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||121||Grid Ref:||TF180844|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1700 to 1799
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 72