Gunton Park, Roughton, England
Record Id: 1556
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Gunton has the remains of an 18th and 19th-century park, park woodland and agricultural landscape of 680 hectares with gardens and parkland around the house of 80 hectares. The land has been in divided ownership since 1980. Of particular note is the Gunton Mill which is situated to the south of the hall in the former deer park. The original corn water mill was listed in the Domesday Book and was subsequently replaced by a saw mill in 1820 to provide cut timber for the estate. The registered area covers some 475 hectares.
Brief history of site
A Palladian mansion was built on the site of an earlier house after 1742. A plan of around 1730 shows ornamental woodland north of the house. A map of 1754 shows a park of some 150 hectares, including two lakes. Samuel Wyatt made additions to the hall from 1774. Gunton Tower was completed in 1830. The gardens were developed to national acclaim under Charles, the fifth baron, who held the title from 1853 to 1912.
Norfolk; North Norfolk; Hanworth
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||133||Grid Ref:||TG228341|
Form of site: estate
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1730
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 677