Gunnersbury Park, (also known as Gunnersbuy Park and Gunnersbury House), Hounslow, England
Record Id: 1555
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The park was landscaped in the late-18th century on an earlier site, and was further developed in the 19th century. A public park since 1925, the site occupies 71 hectares and includes a large ornamental lake. A number of earlier landscape features remain, including the Potomac Pond with Pulhamite rock work; Princess Amelia's Bath House, Japanese Garden and Italian Garden.
Brief history of site
By the mid-18th century there was a formal layout involving canals and an avenue, with probable input by William Kent. The estate was further developed in the late-18th century and then split in two in about 1800.
In 1835 Lionel Rothschild bought the Gunnersbury Park estate and the family stayed there until 1925. During their tenure they reunited the two estates, bought new land on which they constructed a pond, and built up a reputation for excellent horticultural practices.
In 1925 75 hectares of the estate, including the large and small mansions and garden buildings, were purchased by the boroughs of Acton and Ealing, with assistance from the MCC. It opened to the public in May 1926 and although its horticultural features were maintained, there was increasing emphasis on sports and recreation, with facilities including a bowling green, golf course and playground.
Address: Gunnersbury Park, Pope's Lane, London, W3 8CQ
Greater London; Hounslow
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ187789|
Tube: Acton Town (Piccadilly, District) then bus. Rail: Kew Bridge then bus. Bus: E3, H91
Opening contact details:
This is a public park open daily from 8am to dusk. Please see:
or telephone 020 8992 1612
Car park. WCs. Refreshments.
Children's playgrounds. Sports facilities. Boating lake.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: museum
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 70.96