Grove Park, Weston-super-Mare, England
Record Id: 1551
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Grove Park is a municipal park on the site of a late-17th century house and grounds. The registered area covers some 3 hectares. The park's boundaries are formed by stone walls, brick walls, fences and hedges. The site slopes steeply towards the south-west, giving views across the park and town to the bay.
Brief history of site
Grove House became the property of the Pigott family in 1696. The park was their private garden. Weston developed from a small village in the early-19th century to a resort town by the late-19th century. With this came pressure for the provision of public gardens. The Grove was acquired for the town in 1890. Conversion of the site to a public park was undertaken by A E Collins, and was completed by 20 June 1891 when Grove Park was opened to the public. In 1922, a war memorial and associated formal gardens were constructed in the park.
Address: Grove Park, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 2QJ
North Somerset; Weston-super-Mare
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||182||Grid Ref:||ST319619|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: local government office
Site first created: Before 1696
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 8.5