Ashburnham Place, Battle, England
Record Id: 154
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site has the remains of a mid-18th-century landscape park within woodland and an agricultural estate, which at its most extensive occupied about 8000 acres. The Park has now been largely returned to agriculture. The gardens extend to about 90 hectares (220 acres) and were originally laid out in the mid-18th-century by Lancelot Brown.
The site is now used as a venue for church groups, retreats, holidays and conferences.
Brief history of site
The existing house was reconstructed and enlarged between 1759 and 1763. Lancelot Brown was commissioned in 1767 to lay out a new park and gardens. Various additions and alterations have since been made.
Address: Ashburnham Place, Battle, Sussex, TN33 9NF
East Sussex; Rother; Battle
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ690145|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1759 to 1767
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 90