Grimsthorpe Castle, Bourne, England
Record Id: 1538
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Grimsthorpe Castle has a landscape park developed from a forest that was first recorded in the Domesday book in 1086. The forest was transformed into a landscape park in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Castle is set on a ridge running from north-west to south-east through the site, giving views to east and west.
Brief history of site
The castle is of 13th-century origin, re-built several times since then. The Four Mile Riding was laid out in the park some time after 1626, and the gardens were first laid out around 1680. Work was undertaken by Stephen Switzer in 1711 and by Lancelot Brown in 1771. The castle has been restored a number of times in the last 200 years, and is now in the hands of a charitable trust.
Address: The Estate Office, Grimsthorpe, Bourne, Lincolnshire, PE10 0LY
Lincolnshire; South Kesteven; Edenham
Historical County: Lincolnshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||130||Grid Ref:||TF044228|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1200
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 954