Great Torrington Cemetery, Devon, England
Record Id: 1516
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The cemetery was established 1854 by the Great Torrington Burial Board. The site occupies about 2.5 hectares, and is bounded by stone walls, banks and hedges. It slopes from the southern boundary and has views over Great Torrington Common. Features include a World War 1 memorial, specimen trees, a two-storey Tudor Gothic-style lodge and a pair of stone Gothic-style chapels.
Brief history of site
By the 1830s, the parish burial ground was becoming overcrowded as the town's prosperity grew. A proposal for a new burial ground was debated and rejected in 1833, but by 1852 the problem was more pressing. A vote in favour of a new cemetery took place in 1852, but was not realised until 1854. The designer of the cemetery remains unknown. It was consecrated in 1856, and remains mostly unchanged today.
Address: Great Torrington Cemetery, New Street, Great Torrington, Devon, EX38 8DD
Devon; Torridge; Great Torrington
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||180||Grid Ref:||SS487194|
West of Great Torrington, north of the A386.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily, 10am to 5pm. Please see:
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1854
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2.5