Great Barr Hall, Walsall, England
Record Id: 1505
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Great Barr Hall is a mid-18th-century landscape park, developed at the end of the 18th century and in the mid-19th century. The site covers some 105 hectares. The hall was converted into a hospital in 1918, but was abandoned in the 1980s. Some of the site has been redeveloped for housing.
Brief history of site
The old house was replaced by a new mansion around 1777. After 1797, Humphry Repton and John Nash were called in to work on the park. In the early-20th century, the site became a mental hospital. Recently (2008) the hospital buildings were demolished and replaced with a new housing estate.
Address: Chapel Lane, Great Barr, B43 7QG
West Midlands; Sandwell; Great Barr with Yew Tree
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP051952|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1777
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 105