Gravetye Manor, West Sussex, England
Record Id: 1500
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The gardens and grounds were laid out from 1885 by William Robinson. The site is now used as a restaurant and hotel.
Brief history of site
The manor house was built in 1598. It was purchased in 1884 by the horticultural writer and gardener William Robinson. He restored the house and laid out the present gardens and much of the surrounding woodlands.
Address: Nr. East Grinstead, RH19 4LJ
Locality: West Sussex
West Sussex; Mid Sussex; West Hoathly
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ361340|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1598 to 1884
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 85